Pearson purchase hits RTL earnings
LONDON - RTL Group, Europe's largest broadcaster, has managed to record a slight increase in advertising revenue share over the first half of the year.
However, earnings were down on the same period for last year, with the group reporting an Ebidta of 235m (£148.4m), down by 27%.
RTL has reported turnover increasing from 1.9bn (£1.2bn) to 2bn (£1.3bn), and says it has gained audience and ad revenue share in most markets.
But the results are tempered by a one-off loss of 2.3bn (£1.5bn) over the purchase of FreemantleMedia, Pearson's television unit.
The results have caused RTL, which also produces shows such as The Price Is Right, to postpone an equity issue. Didier Bellens, CEO of RTL, said this was because of "low forward visibility in the advertising markets".
While TV revenues were up by 3%, radio fell by 20.3% to 98m (£61.9m).
RTL has interests in 23 TV channels and 17 radio stations in 11 countries. It was formed when Bertelsmann and Audiofina merged their jointly owned broadcaster CLT-UFA with the TV unit of Pearson last year.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Digital Designer Gemini Search £30000.00 - £35000.00 per annum + good benefits, City of London