WPP and Interpublic winners in global Coke alignment
NEW YORK - The Coca-Cola Company will announce later today the results of a global realignment of its advertising business, which is likely to see WPP Group agency Ogilvy & Mather and Interpublic Group of Companies' Lowe & Partners emerge as the big winners.
The consolidation will see Coca Cola drop Bcom3's Leo Burnett and D'Arcy. Another casualty will be Portland based Wieden + Kennedy.
Leo Burnett handles the $40m (£27m) Minute Maid account, while D'Arcy has its Coke Classic's NASCAR advertising. Wieden handles Diet Coke and Powerade which are estimated at $25m (£17m) and $60m (£41m) respectively, according to US reports.
Interpublic agencies are thought likely to pick up Diet Coke, Powerade and Minute Maid. Interpublic agency Lowe & Partners already handles Coke brand Sprite, which will be moved to O&M with billings of $85m (£58m).
It has also been reported that O&M will pick up Coke's Fanta brand, which was previously split among a number of agencies including Cliff Freeman & Partners, which resigned the account recently.
Earlier this year Interpublic agency McCann-Erickson was appointed to the task of rejuvenating Coca-Cola's flagship brand through a major global advertising blitz. The decision followed the appointment of Interpublic as Coca-Cola's global communications consultant last December.
It was not known at the time how the appointment would affect Coca-Cola's relationship with Publicis, which, following this latest realignment, must be in doubt. Publicis beat McCann-Erickson and Leo Burnett to win Coke's European account last November.
Publicis' appointment was the first by Coca-Cola on a regional basis. However, the agency's position appeared to be quickly weakened by the Interpublic appointment a month later.
Coca-Cola spends an estimated £1bn (£680m) advertising its flagship brand worldwide.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Marketing Partnerships Director PFJ £40000.00 - £45000.00 per annum, London
- Assistant Category Manager Jarlett de Grouchy £27000 - £30000 per annum + + Bonus + Benefits, London