Leading analyst expects adspend to rise
NEW YORK - Advertising spend is expected to rise in 2002 if only modestly, according to a senior industry analyst at Merrill Lynch who has upgraded her forecast.
Lauren Rich Fine said she expected to see a 0.4% increase on 2001 in advertising spend in the US in 2002. This reverses a previous forecast in which she had predicted a decline of 1.5%.
The real growth she said would not come until 2003, when she is forecasting an increase of between 4% and 4.5%. Previously, she had forecast an increase of just 4%.
According to the Merrill Lynch report: "Many media companies continue to post ad revenue gains and/or are close to a positive turn. The ad agencies are lagging, however, as is typically the case, as it will take a heightened level of corporate confidence to start ordering new ads or launch new products that require new ad campaigns."
The Merrill Lynch forecast is in line with other thinking in the industry, which is predicting a slow and steady improvement.
Yesterday Sir Martin Sorrell, the WPP Group chief executive, said that the industry might have to wait until 2004 for economic conditions to significantly strengthen. He said he saw the situation improving in 2002 and again in 2003, but that it might not be until the following year that the world economy shows strong signs of recovery.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Creative Artworker: InDesign,Illustrator,Photoshop,Typography Creative Recruitment £26000 - £30000 per annum, Surrey
- Account Manager - Communication/ Branding to £35k Network Career Consultants £30000 - £35000 per annum, London