Understanding and marketing to the same-gender couple
One of the fastest growing consumer groups in the United States is that of the same-gender couple consumer group, also known as the gay and lesbian market, writes Dave Ryder.
As a corporate events and meeting planner for nearly 20 years, I have witnessed and participated in the development of thousands of meetings and events where a growing population to be reckoned with is that of the same-gender couple. For purposes of this article, I define same-gender couples as members of the gay and lesbian market.
Reaching this market takes cunning, wit and a specific understanding of the motivation that spurs the average same-gender consuming couple, realising that one of the primary motivators for these consumers is quality of life and self-actualisation. Same-gender couples comprise more and more of the homes in upscale neighbourhoods as they seek a quiet, respectful lifestyle. They have significant disposable income and are very wise investors. They plan for the future, but also live well today.
But how does the small businessperson reach this growing market? What are the best methods of marketing and sales that will encourage same-gender couples to buy or patronise any business?
The bottom line is that everyone desires and deserves respect and courtesy. Recognise that every person is a potential customer, regardless of his or her living arrangements or sexual preferences, and may have lots of friends and associates to send your way. Word of mouth is a powerful marketing tool. Business from the heart is the best business of all.
© 2002 Dave Ryder, Corporate Destination Services of Arizona, Inc. Reproduced by permission from the author.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Global Brand Manager - Drinks Trace c. £58k depending on experience, South East England / London (Greater) / Surrey / London (South), London (Greater) / London (West)...
- Senior International Agency Sales Manager - Mobile Salt £70000 per annum + strong bonus and great bens, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Research Director - Consumer Tech Trace £80k to £110k depending on experience, South East England / London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), Londo...
- Head of Marketing The RSA Circa £60,000 per annum (commensurate with skills and experience) + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Research Director - Pharma / Healthcare Trace £80k to £110k depending on experience, South East England / London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), Londo...