The451.com announces closure
LONDON - The451.com, the news, technology and media website, has announced its closure in a move that reflects the current downturn in the new economy.
The subscription-based site was launched during the dotcom boom in April 2000, covering the technology and new-media makets.
With offices in New York, San Francisco and London, the editorial team was made up of experienced journalists, including staff from the Financial Times and Sunday Business. All 25 staff will lose their jobs.
The site was operating in a crowded market sector, competing against the likes of FT.com and Silicon.com, and failed to gain enough subscribers to survive. Yesterday members of staff were told of the site's closure, but even today, new content was being added to the site.
Technology investor Durlacher, which was the majority shareholder, issued a statement this morning and said its holdings in The451 had a book value of £500,000 as of the end of last month.
According to a spokeswoman for Durlacher the closure was a result of the "general downturn in the economy" and that "there have been other similar cases" of website closure.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Client Account Manager Content is King c. £25k per annum dependent on experience, SW1