Unilever core brand strategy to boost earnings by 20%
LONDON - Unilever's core brand strategy appears to be paying off, with the consumer goods giant saying that it expects second-quarter earnings to rise by 20%.
The Dutch conglomerate said in a statement today that it expects an increase in momentum of its leading brands -- which include Ben & Jerry's, Magnum ice cream, Dove soap and Lipton tea -- and will be upping its spend on advertising and marketing.
Unilever's roster of agencies in the UK includes HHCL & Partners, Bartle Bogle Hegarty and Lowe & Partners, while media buying is handled by Initiative Media, which recently brokered a £320m, four-year-deal between Unilever and ITV.
"Our innovation programme for 2002 is at least as intensive as last year with a sustained rate in home and personal care, and a step-up in foods," the company said in the statement.
In 2001, Unilever unveiled its "Path to Growth" strategy, a five-year plan that involves cutting staff numbers by 25,000 and trimming Unilever's brand portfolio from 1,600 brand names to 400.
The money saved by the cost cutting will then be spent promoting Unilever's core, high-yield brands.
In today's statement, Unilever said that leading brands' sales will rise by around 4.5% for the second quarter of the year, while the underlying sales growth will be around 3% to 4%.
Shares in Unilever fell by €0.70 to trade at €63.35 on the Amsterdam stock exchange this afternoon.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Media - Client Director Ball & Hoolahan £44,000 per annum, London
- Interim Customer Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £42,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London