Gallaher in European joint tobacco venture with RJ Reynolds
NEW YORK - British tobacco company Gallaher Group has formed a joint venture with American rival RJ Reynolds, which makes Camel cigarettes, worth an estimated $200m (£127m) to market American blend cigarette brands in Europe.
The joint venture deal is designed to help Gallaher grow in markets where it has little presence. The brands included in the deal include Benson & Hedges American Blend, Benson & Hedges Red and Reynolds, a new American blend in a unique "slide-box" pack.
The deal initially covers four markets: France, Spain, Canary Islands and Italy. Certain markets, most notably Austria, are excluded from this agreement.
RJ Reynolds' financial contributions -- which are expected to total in the region of $75m-$100m over the next five years -- will balance Gallaher's contributions, which will include the value of the volume sales already being achieved by the Gallaher brands licensed to the joint venture.
The joint venture company, RJ Reynolds-Gallaher International SARL, will be headquartered in Switzerland. The joint venture company will receive manufacturing, sales, distribution and marketing support services from Gallaher.
Commenting on the joint venture, Nigel Northridge, chief executive of Gallaher, said: "It will build on our solid foundation in Europe, accelerating Gallaher's growth in those markets where we are still relatively small. The joint venture's strengthened resources will benefit Benson & Hedges American Blend and Benson & Hedges Red, and Reynolds -- with its innovative packaging -- will complement our existing brand portfolio. I expect this joint venture to enhance earnings in the medium term."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Senior Brand Manager Nigel Wright Recruitment £50000 - £55000 Per Annum, South East (Home Counties)