Media shares fail to exploit
overall market gains
LONDON - Media shares failed to piggyback on the gains made by other parts of the market, as London stock indices recorded strong growth today, with the smaller public relations-dominated media groups being the main winners in the sector.
Broadcasters BSkyB and Granada both fell. BSkyB was trading down 2.2% at 869p, while Granada was at 153.5p, down 0.6% from yesterday's close. Carlton Communications recorded a small price rise, up 1.5% to 251.3p.
FTSE-100 listed Pearson, publisher of the Financial Times, failed to reflect the 0.57% rise on the index, which was worth 5238.3 points this afternoon. Pearson shares fell by 3.19% to 925p.
Leading the PR-dominated groups was Chime Communications, owner of Bell Pottinger. It was trading up 5.4% at 147.5p. Huntsworth, the group run by Lord Chadlington, founder of Shandwick Public Relations, was up 2.1%, trading at 24.5p. Incepta Group also recorded an increase. The group, which owns financial PR giant Citigate Dewe Rogerson, was trading up 2.06%, at 49.5p.
WPP Group was down fractionally, falling 0.59% to 754p. Carat-owning Aegis Group was down 1.2% to 102.75p, but was well up on the week following positive research notes at the end of last week.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SHOPPER MARKETING ACCOUNT HANDLERS - London agencies - £38k-55k (perm & freelance) Judi Patton £28-£55k- plus bonus and benefits, London
- head of new business > #1 DIGITAL & CONTENT AGENCY collectivo £60k-£80k plus agency bens, Central London
- Account Director Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager - [Retail / Digital] - Superb agency! £35k - £39k Fill Recruitment Ltd £35k - £39k + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager - FMCG - London or Home counties Stonor £45,000 - £55,000 dependent on experience , London, Essex, Bucks or Oxon
- Creative Director The Marketing Practice Up to £120k dependant on experience , East Hendred, near to Didcot in Oxfordshire