Microsoft tops US media image index
NEW YORK - Microsoft is the US company with the most positive image in the media, according to the Media Reputation Index 2001, compiled by Delahaye Medialink.
Despite some negative coverage associated with Microsoft's anti-trust case, the company scored the highest reputation ranking, based on media coverage in more than 250,000 print and broadcast stories in the first six months of 2001. The build-up to the launch of Windows XP and Xbox have been highlights for Microsoft during the first part of the year.
Other winners included Walt Disney, IBM, AOL Time Warner, Intel and Boeing.
The index, which reviews the 100 largest US-based companies, charted media coverage from January to June. The researchers looked at several elements of corporate image such as financial performance, vision and leadership, emotional appeal, products and services, and social responsibility.
Research director KC Brown said, "Microsoft received considerable negative coverage surrounding anti-trust and law suit coverage. Our research, however, revealed that it scored extremely well overall, due to news items covering the company's financial performance and its growth potential."
The writers of the study hope that their work will enable companies to see how they can improve their corporate image in the eyes of the media.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Strategy Director Rare Selection Up to £80K + bonus, health, pension, Central London
- Digital Strategist - Growth & Innovation Consultancy Rare Selection Up to £50K + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Consultant - 2 vacancies Rare Selection £60 - £80K + 30% bonus, 8% pension, and excellent benefits, London
- Senior Brand Strategist Rare Selection Highly competitive, Central London
- Senior Consultant Brand Strategy Rare Selection Up to £68K + benefits, South West London