Tobacco ads to be banned from
international motorsport in 2006
LONDON - The Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA), the world governing body of motorsports, is to ban tobacco advertising and sponsorship worldwide in all motorsport competitions -- worth an estimated £247.4m a year -- from the end of the 2006 season.
The FIA said in a statement that it is difficult to implement a ban on tobacco advertising in individual countries of such a widely televised sport, because TV viewers would still be able to see tobacco advertising on foreign competitions. It gave this reason as why it is necessary to establish an "international agreement to control the impact of tobacco advertising and sponsorship", the statement said.
The FIA is to join the World Health Organisation's proposed Framework Convention on Tobacco Control in 2006, and it is from that point onwards that the sponsorship will end. The ban will affect sports such as Formula 1, Formula 3000, the World Championship Rally and motorcycling.
Meanwhile, Belgian lager giant Interbrew is said to be considering sponsoring troubled Formula 1 racing team Prost, which could lead to Belgian driver Bas Leinders racing for the team. The Team would carry Stella Artois branding.
Interbrew owns Stella Artois, Labbatt's and the Bass brands, and sells beer in more than 110 countries.
Such a deal would save the Prost team -- named after its founder, former three-times F1 champion Alain Prost -- from almost certain collapse.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand
Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Client Account Manager Content is King c. £25k per annum dependent on experience, SW1