Multimap topples Lastminute from
top spot in travel site rankings
LONDON - Multimap, the world maps website, has beaten low-cost airline Go's site and lastminute.com to the number one spot in the UK's top 10 travel websites, according to a Hitwise survey.
Multimap was far ahead of the competition, attracting almost a quarter of holidaymakers visiting the top 10 sites. Go-fly.com was in second place with 13.2%, while previous number one Lastminute.com was at three with 10.3%.
Low-cost airlines proved popular, reflecting their recent success during the airline industry slump. Go rival EasyJet was at number four with 10% and budget flights site CheapFlights.com also proved popular at number 10. Despite recent losses, British Airways was not far behind the budget sites at number seven with 8.2%.
UK Street Map was at number five, closely followed by Lastminute rival Expedia at six.
Rail sites TheTrainline and Railtrack were in eighth and ninth places respectively.
Last Friday, Lastminute.com reported widened full-year losses as a result of costs relating to acquisitions, but said that it remains on track to move into profit in the UK and France within the next six months.
Full-year losses were up 50% to £53.7m, from £35.8m for 2000, following the group's acquisition of Degriftour Group and Urbanbite. The loss also includes a share of the operating losses from its joint venture operations in Australia, South Africa and Spain.
Turnover for the year more than quadrupled on 2000's figure to £18.4m from £3.7m, while gross profit grew to £17.2m from £3.3m.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager - Inbound Tourism - Dubai Based MCG Associates Tax Free Competitive Package, Dubai, UAE
- Senior Account Manager - Saudi Arabia - PR MCG Associates Tax Free Package, Riyadh. KSA
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Biddable Paid Social Senior Executive - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £25000 - £30000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account handler ready for an immediate start? Freelance, Contract or Temp to Perm? Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london