Sports.com buys Sportal's German site
LONDON - Sports.com, the online sports business, has acquired the German arm of rival Sportal, the business which was recently rescued from collapse by online gaming operation UKbetting.com.
Sports.com will add the German website sportal.de to its list of Sports.com operations in the UK, France, Ireland, the Netherlands, Italy, Spain and the US.
Sports.com chief operating officer Gavin Chittick told the Financial Times: "We are growing our German operation and this was a good opportunity to broaden the base of what we do."
He added: "Our attitude has been to be the last man standing at the end."
Sports.com recently secured £9m of funding from investors which include IMG, the sports management agency founded by Mark McCormack.
Sportal, meanwhile, was bought by UKbetting.com for £1 -- plus £190,000 for its technical operations -- when the business's future was plunged into uncertainty after it ran out of money as a result of the advertising downturn.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand
Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Midweight Team become £25-38K, Central London
- Senior Product Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Competitive Salary, London
- Senior Brand Manager - Beauty Ball & Hoolahan £46,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £45,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £44,000 per annum + bens, West London
- Interim Category Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + benefits, London