Interbrew bid for South
African Breweries denied
LONDON - Banking sources are denying reports claiming that beverage giant Interbrew is in the process of mounting a bid for South African Breweries, a move that would create the second-largest brewer in the world.
If the merger was to go ahead between Belgian company Interbrew, owner of the Stella Artois and Beck's brands, and South African Breweries, which makes Pilsner Urquell and Amstel, it would likely lead to a spate of rival mergers in the industry.
An Interbrew spokesman said the company was still reflecting on today's reports and may make a statement later today.
According to a report in the Financial Times, an offer could be made as early as December 3, with a figure of more than £4bn being mooted. However, reports on Reuters say that leaked papers regarding the bid were simply routine reviews of rivals.
If the merger did go ahead, the only bigger brewer in the world, by volume of beer produced, would be Anheuser-Busch, owner of the Budweiser brand.
SAB owns and operates 85 breweries in 22 countries, employing more than 31,000 people, and was listed on the London Stock Exchange in 1999. Interbrew is in the process of selling its Carling lager brand, after its takeover of Bass Brewers, in order to meet UK competition regulations.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Senior Marketing Campaign Analyst Perfect Marketing People To £38k, Manchester