Time closes three magazines
HONG KONG - AOL Time Warner has closed three magazines including Asiaweek magazine, which is to be closed with the loss of all of the news weekly's 80 staff, and On Magazine in the US.
Consumer technology title On Magazine, formerly known as Time Digital, is seen as the most significant closure. On Magazine has a circulation of 1.5m in the US and until recently was distributed free with Time magazine and AOL subscriptions. Also being closed is Family Life, which is published by Time's parenting group.
The moves have been under discussion for a number of weeks and the titles are the latest victims of the downturn in advertising revenue.
In a statement Norman Pearlstine, Time Inc Editor-in-Chief, said:"No one could have predicted the downturn in the advertising market would be this brutal."
The closure of Asiaweek, the Asian version of Newsweek, will likely come as a shock. The magazine only relaunched earlier this year with a new masthead and cover.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Digital Account Executive The Little Black Book Agency £16000 - £18000 per annum, Lancashire
- In-House Graphic Designer Major Players £30000 - £40000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Insight Director, Technology & Financial Jarlett de Grouchy £65000.00 - £80000.00 per annum + bonus, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Commercial Head of Branded Content-Established Digital Business Ultimate Asset £65000 - £76000 per annum + bonus and huge benefits , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Sales Executive - Performance & Brand - Emerging Tech Ultimate Asset £40000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)