NTL hopes for transmission arm sale fade
LONDON - NTL's hopes of selling its broadcasting transmission business this side of Christmas appeared to be under threat with the news that potential buyer and NTL shareholder France Telecom has failed to offer the £1.5bn the cable group wanted to raise from the sale.
The French telecom group is NTL's largest shareholder with a 25% stake. It is said to want to expand its transmission business TDF, while providing NTL with extra cash.
However, NTL is keen to raise enough money to help meet interest payments on its £11bn debt mountain and begin cutting into the capital.
NTL's interest payments were blamed for the company's third-quarter losses which widened to £704m.
The transmission arm provides some of the highest margins among NTL's operations and contributed £32m to NTL's earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation of £132m.
News about the sale of the company comes at a difficult time for NTL, which last week saw its credit rating cut, placing it further down among the "junk" ratings scale.
Moody's, the credit rating agency behind the downgrade, said the company may have to restructure its balance sheet in order to grow.
NTL's shares dropped to an all-time low of $1.60 on the New York Stock Exchange after the downgrade but rose 15.6% to trade at $1.85 on Friday, well off its high of $109.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand
Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 plus Car/ Car Allowance, London
- Creative Project Assistant become £20K-£24K, London