WH Smith to open 120 new stores
LONDON - WH Smith is bucking the trend and opening 120 new stores across the UK over the next three years with the creation of 3,000 new jobs.
The bold expansion plan will take the retailer into Northern Ireland for the first time. It will bring the total number of WH Smith stores to 709, with an additional 189 stores at UK rail stations.
According to a WH Smith spokeswoman: "It's a bold step which will take WH Smith forward and into new areas. WH Smith is a trusted brand and we aim to build on what we already offer our customers."
The move follows news in the summer when the newsagent revealed plans to challenge electrical retailers as it looked at expanding its brand to sell a range of electrical goods in its stores.
WH Smith already sells DVD players and televisions in 25 of its 530 stores where it has opened Electronic Zones, which offer mobile phones and home entertainment equipment.
It is expected that some of the new stores will fuel these expansion plans.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Marketing Campaign Programmer Better Placed Recruitment £25000 - £35000 per annum, Guildford
- Senior Marketing Manager Trace £35000 - £55000 Per Annum + benefits, South West London
- Marketing Manager x 2 Stopgap £43000 - £45000 per annum, London
- Digital Project Manager Source £30000 - £35000 per annum, London