Murdoch to launch London freesheet
LONDON - Rupert Murdoch is to take on Associated Newspaper's free Metro newspaper and its paid-for Evening Standard in London with the launch of a 24-hour freesheet.
News International is understood to be preparing to invest as much as £100m in the venture and is currently in negotiations with Railtrack to distribute the paper at railway stations, according to a report in the Sunday Telegraph.
The Railtrack contract is currently held by Metro, but that is due to expire in March and News International is thought to be offering around £4m to secure the contract, far more than that being paid by Associated.
Like Robert Maxwell's London Daily News in the 1980s, the plan is to publish the paper twice daily, with an initial print run of 240,000 in the morning, aimed at Metro readers, and a second 400,000 run in the afternoon, aimed at the capital's paid-for evening paper audience.
It is likely to ignite a bitter war between the two. Maxwell's bid to take on the Evening Standard was thwarted by Associated, which retaliated with a cut-price Evening News. Maxwell lost £50m before he pulled the plug on the London Daily News.
Murdoch has deeper pockets than Maxwell, but what he will not be able to do is win the Metro's key London Underground contract. Associated has signed a long-term contract with the Underground for Metro to be distributed there.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand
Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Account Director AF Selection £35,000 - £38,000 plus car, Birmingham
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Director Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, London