ESPN plans entry into Europe
LONDON - ESPN, the US sports TV network, is to launch a TV channel in Europe, called ESPN Classic Sport, as part of a move to pave the way for a renewed onslaught in a market it has so far failed to crack.
The channel, set to feature classic sporting moments, will be a joint venture between ESPN -- which is 80% owned by Walt Disney -- and private equity firm Sports Capital Partners. It is expected to launch early next year in 2.5m homes in France.
At present ESPN's only presence in Europe has been via syndicated programming such as late night NHL hockey and major league baseball on Channel 5. It also covers the X Games, an extreme sports event, and holds a stake in Eurosport.
Although ESPN has 20 TV networks outside the US, it has stayed clear of Europe because of the high price of sports rights.
The new channel, which is believed to be a way of breaking into the market with minimum risk, will air archived material such as the fights of Muhammed Ali, Tour de France and the best moments of Wimbledon.
The channel will be 70% owned by ESPN and 30% owned by Sports Capital Partners. The programming will be produced by TWI, the programming arm of Mark McCormack's IPG sports marketing firm.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand
Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Marketing Partnerships Director PFJ £40000.00 - £45000.00 per annum, London
- Assistant Category Manager Jarlett de Grouchy £27000 - £30000 per annum + + Bonus + Benefits, London