ESPN plans entry into Europe
LONDON - ESPN, the US sports TV network, is to launch a TV channel in Europe, called ESPN Classic Sport, as part of a move to pave the way for a renewed onslaught in a market it has so far failed to crack.
The channel, set to feature classic sporting moments, will be a joint venture between ESPN -- which is 80% owned by Walt Disney -- and private equity firm Sports Capital Partners. It is expected to launch early next year in 2.5m homes in France.
At present ESPN's only presence in Europe has been via syndicated programming such as late night NHL hockey and major league baseball on Channel 5. It also covers the X Games, an extreme sports event, and holds a stake in Eurosport.
Although ESPN has 20 TV networks outside the US, it has stayed clear of Europe because of the high price of sports rights.
The new channel, which is believed to be a way of breaking into the market with minimum risk, will air archived material such as the fights of Muhammed Ali, Tour de France and the best moments of Wimbledon.
The channel will be 70% owned by ESPN and 30% owned by Sports Capital Partners. The programming will be produced by TWI, the programming arm of Mark McCormack's IPG sports marketing firm.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand
Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Art Director createselect Up to £40K pa, depending on experience, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater)
- DM Account / Senior Manager Â– Not for profit / Charity sector ADLIB £Dependent on experience , South West England / Gloucestershire
- Project and Operations Manager BIS Recruit up to £50,000 plus BUPA Share Options free beer breakfasts and more, City of Westminster, London (Greater)
- Business Forecaster / Modeller BIS Recruit up to £40,000 plus BUPA, Share Options, free beer and more, City of Westminster, London (Greater)
- Information Security Analyst BIS Recruit up to £35,000 Bupa, Share Options, Free Beer and more, City of Westminster, London (Greater)