Anti-sleaze code set to rein in power
of government spin doctors
LONDON - The way New Labour deals with the press is set to change as Tony Blair plans to rewrite the rules with a new anti-sleaze code that will govern future media announcements and control the power of spin doctors.
The new anti-sleaze code will state that government announcements should be made to MPs before the media, supposedly preventing spin doctors from leaking news to gain favourable coverage. Current guidelines only say that ministers should "bear in mind the desire of parliament that the most important announcements of government policy should be made, in the first instance, to parliament".
The move is the government's response to the House of Commons public administration select committee's report on the ministerial code, published today.
Ever since Blair's Labour government swept to power in 1997, with the backing of The Sun, its relationship with the media has been under scrutiny. Tony Wright, chairman of the public administration select committee, said: "This will certainly have implications for the way that government makes its announcements and for the current proposals on parliamentary reform."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Account Manager - Communication/ Branding to £35k Network Career Consultants £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Global Insight Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 plus Car/ Car Allowance, London