Consignia to slash 30,000 jobs
LONDON - John Roberts, chief executive of Consignia, formerly the Post Office, has told MPs the company is set to cut up to 30,000 jobs in the next 18 months, representing 15% of the company's 200,000 workforce.
It is making the job cuts as part of a £1bn cost-reduction drive, in an attempt to return Consignia to profitability.
Union leaders are already threatening to fight the cuts by striking, while senior managers hope that natural wastage will avoid the need for compulsory redundancies.
It has already posted a loss of £100m for the first half of the year, including one-off costs for an earlier series of redundancies, which saw staff numbers reduced by about 10,000.
Unions have reacted angrily to the news of the job cuts, threatening a national strike to fight any compulsory redundancies. The job losses are said to be coming mainly from administrative and managerial positions.
In October, the company warned that it was going to overhaul its operations, but at the time the job losses looked to affect only 10% of the workforce.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Junior Account Director / Account Director - Fabulous Global Agency - Central London - to £47k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £47k, Central London
- business director > TOP LONDON AGENCY > ATL collectivo Up to £90,000 + great benefits, London
- ACCOUNT MANAGER | Integrated Agency | Confectionery | up to £30k Judi Patton up to £30k, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - Creative London Agency - MOBILE/Social Media - £40-47k Judi Patton £40-47k, London
- General Manager - Integrated Advertising Agency - Dubai MCG Associates Tax Free Competitive Package, Dubai, UAE
- MIDWEIGHT DESIGNER - award winning global agency! Live Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, City of London