BSkyB falls as Vivendi sells stake
to fund US acquisition
LONDON - Shares in BSkyB fell more than 5% this morning, after Vivendi Universal confirmed it is to sell part of its stake in the UK satellite broadcaster for £1bn to help fund its US expansion plans.
BSkyB fell 5.8% in early trading to 753.5p before pulling back slightly to 754p.
Vivendi has instructed Deutsche Bank and investment bank Goldman Sachs to sell 150m equity certificates in the satellite broadcaster. The certificates will be sold privately and not on the open market.
Vivendi said it would use the cash to explore "opportunities of strategic partnership in television and distribution in the US".
It is thought that the money will be used to finance a deal Vivendi chief executive Jean-Marie Messier is negotiating with USA Networks to buy its entertainment arm, USA Entertainment, which is run by former Channel 4 chief executive Michael Jackson.
In a statement, Vivendi said: "The proceeds will be used to cover financial needs arising from different strategic partnership opportunities in US television and distribution, which may or may not be finalised."
The equity bonds, exchangeable into BSkyB ordinary shares in October 2002, are being offered by Deutsche Bank and Goldman Sachs.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand
Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Account Manager - TTL Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £26000 - £30000 per annum, East London