NTL rises on news of debt restructure
LONDON - Shares in NTL soared 23.4% to $0.79 today as news emerged about a restructuring of its £12bn debt, which could see the company try to covert some of the debt into shares as it tries to avoid collapse.
The restructuring would be part of a deal with banks and bondholders, which are threatening to call in debts that would force the company into bankruptcy.
Banks and bondholders are drawing up a series of financial covenants that NTL must adhere to, effectively placing the company under their control.
NTL's current share price values the company at around £124.1m, a fraction of its debt mountain, £4.1bn of which is owed to banks alone.
NTL had been hoping to sell its broadcast transmission business for at least £1.6bn. However, its failure to sell it has left NTL with little choice but to cut capital expenditure.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand
Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Programmatic Account Director Dot-Gap £55k, Central London
- Programmatic Manager Dot-Gap £40k, Central London
- Are you a Freelance AM, SAM or AD in a UK creative agency? We need you! Day rates £150 - £250 a day! Barker Graves Up to £250/day, Central London
- Luxury Designer become £ - Negotiable, London
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 plus Car/ Car Allowance, London
- Assistant Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £30,000 per annum, London