NTL rises on news of debt restructure
LONDON - Shares in NTL soared 23.4% to $0.79 today as news emerged about a restructuring of its £12bn debt, which could see the company try to covert some of the debt into shares as it tries to avoid collapse.
The restructuring would be part of a deal with banks and bondholders, which are threatening to call in debts that would force the company into bankruptcy.
Banks and bondholders are drawing up a series of financial covenants that NTL must adhere to, effectively placing the company under their control.
NTL's current share price values the company at around £124.1m, a fraction of its debt mountain, £4.1bn of which is owed to banks alone.
NTL had been hoping to sell its broadcast transmission business for at least £1.6bn. However, its failure to sell it has left NTL with little choice but to cut capital expenditure.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand
Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Vice President Marketing Communications Direct Recruitment £75,000 - £79,000, London
- Account Director - Integrated - [Digital / Promotions] - Dynamic agency! to £49k Fill Recruitment Ltd £45k - £49k + superb bonus & benefits, Central London
- Head of Lead Generation - Full-Service Agency Silverdrum to £60,000 + benefits, London
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £42,000 + Car/Car Allowance, Midlands
- Analytics Manager Ball & Hoolahan £58,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Account Executive Adam Recruitment £18000 - £23000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits, Liverpool