Aegis report sparks downward trend in
media and advertising stocks
LONDON - Advertising shares began the week with mixed fortunes today after media-buying group Aegis revealed that its 2002 growth would be flat to negative in a pre-closing statement to its full-year results to be announced in March.
Aegis was down 0.49% in mid-afternoon trading to 102.5p following the report, which revealed that the economic crisis in Argentina would cost the company £10m.
The news appeared to have a negative impact on Cordiant Communications, which last week seemed to be leading a recovery in the sector after its shares took a pounding last year, dropping from a high of 300p. Its shares slid 0.9% today to 114p.
Huntsworth, the group ran by Lord Chadlington, founder of Shandwick Public Relations, saw its shares tumble 2.2% to 22p.
Meanwhile, WPP Group, the advertising giant headed up by Sir Martin Sorrell, saw its shares climb 2.1% to 813.5p.
In the media sector, BSkyB investors began deserting the satellite TV giant following BT's announcement that it may chase the same business model that has turned the Rupert Murdoch-backed broadcaster into a dominant force in the UK pay-TV sector.
BSkyB shares fell 3.1% to 789.5p while cable company Telewest lost 2.6% at 65.75p on the news and NTL fell 3.3% to $0.90 in New York.
Pearson, owner of the Financial Times, was down 1.95% to 856p on the news that analysts raised their earnings-per-share estimate to 30.93p from 30.62p for 2002 and cut its EPS estimate to 41.41p from 42.56p for 2003.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand
Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Client Account Manager Content is King c. £25k per annum dependent on experience, SW1