Nasdaq hires global PR chief
NEW YORK - Nasdaq Stock Market has hired Bethany Sherman to handle its public relations on a global basis.
She takes the role of senior vice-president of corporate communications and will lead Nasdaq's worldwide PR, media relations and employee communications. Sherman reports to Denise Benou Stires, executive vice-president of global marketing and investor services.
As well as being the second stock exchange in the US, Nasdaq has a presence in Europe, Japan and Canada. In terms of volume, it trades more shares in a day than the New York Stock Exchange.
However, Sherman is joining at a difficult time for the company. The darling of investors during the dotcom boom, the Nasdaq composite index peaked at a high of 5046.86 points on September 3 2000. At yesterday's close, it was worth 1892.99 points, buffeted by the dotcom bust, the economic downturn and the terrorist attacks in September.
Last year also saw a significant downturn in the number of companies making IPOs and a rise in those being delisted. However, the exchange did score a PR coup last September, when Michael Jackson, the self-declared King of Pop, was drafted in to ring the opening bell.
Sherman joins Nasdaq from Middleberg Euro RSCG, a financial PR agency in New York, where she worked on clients including Reuters and CBSMarketwatch.com.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Media - Client Director Ball & Hoolahan £44,000 per annum, London
- Interim Customer Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £42,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London