Nasdaq hires global PR chief
NEW YORK - Nasdaq Stock Market has hired Bethany Sherman to handle its public relations on a global basis.
She takes the role of senior vice-president of corporate communications and will lead Nasdaq's worldwide PR, media relations and employee communications. Sherman reports to Denise Benou Stires, executive vice-president of global marketing and investor services.
As well as being the second stock exchange in the US, Nasdaq has a presence in Europe, Japan and Canada. In terms of volume, it trades more shares in a day than the New York Stock Exchange.
However, Sherman is joining at a difficult time for the company. The darling of investors during the dotcom boom, the Nasdaq composite index peaked at a high of 5046.86 points on September 3 2000. At yesterday's close, it was worth 1892.99 points, buffeted by the dotcom bust, the economic downturn and the terrorist attacks in September.
Last year also saw a significant downturn in the number of companies making IPOs and a rise in those being delisted. However, the exchange did score a PR coup last September, when Michael Jackson, the self-declared King of Pop, was drafted in to ring the opening bell.
Sherman joins Nasdaq from Middleberg Euro RSCG, a financial PR agency in New York, where she worked on clients including Reuters and CBSMarketwatch.com.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- SENIOR MARKETING MANAGER- Fashion retailer Success Digital £65000 per annum, London
- Client Director - Digital Agency - London £50-65k Adam Recruitment £40000 - £50000 per annum, Camden, London (Greater)
- Neolane Campaign Manager PFJ £300 - £400 per day, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Digital Marketing Operations Jarlett de Grouchy £45000 - £55000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager - consumer products ADLIB £38000 - £43000 per annum, Cornwall