BMP DDB slams door on VW Polo's latest advertising
LONDON - Polo owners could forget that not all doors are as robust as the ones on their cars, according to the latest advertising for the Volkswagen brand, created by BMP DDB.
The 40-second commercial, called "grand slam", follows a Polo driver closing other doors in different situations. He is so used to being able to slam his car door shut that he forgets, after carefully putting his baby down to sleep, that slamming the door will wake the baby.
He then slams a mirrored door in his bathroom; a microwave door; a chiller cabinet door in a supermarket; and numerous other doors. In the final shot of the ad, he is shown getting out of his Polo and emphatically slamming the door before switching the alarm on. The ad closes with the tagline: "The tough new Polo. Don't let it go to your head".
The television work is backed by two poster executions. One shows a woman who has parked next to a lamppost and opened her door. However, instead of her door being dented, the lamppost has been bent around the shape of the door.
The second shows a trolley in a supermarket carpark, dented in the front end, suggesting it has come off the worse in a fight with a Polo. This poster has inspired a media stunt, which will see dented trolleys placed in busy supermarket car parks. The trolley ad will appear on 60,000 trolley cards across the UK.
The ads were written by Dylan Harrison, with art direction by Feargal Balance. The commercial was directed by Lenard Dorfman and was produced by Radical. Media planning and buying is through Mediacom.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Marketing Manager - Ardington Ltd Ball & Hoolahan £Competitive Salary Package, South East
- Brand Activation Manager Ball & Hoolahan £36,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East
- Marketing Manager - Inbound Tourism - Dubai Based MCG Associates Tax Free Competitive Package, Dubai, UAE
- Senior Account Manager - Saudi Arabia - PR MCG Associates Tax Free Package, Riyadh. KSA
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London