Granada eyes Telewest's stake in SMG
LONDON - Granada has renewed speculation that it will buy Telewest's 16.9% stake in the Scottish Media Group after the telecoms company said it could sell the asset at any time.
According to reports, Granada has approached Telewest's financial advisers after the cash-strapped company won approval from shareholders to sell the stake, which is considered a non-core asset.
In Business AM, Telewest managing director Charles Burdick said the group is hesitant to sell its stake while media share prices are so low, but admits that the chance of a sale was "something north of 50%".
If Granada does buy Telewest's stake in SMG, which owns the Grampian and Scottish ITV licences, it will be forced, under stock market rules, to make a full takeover bid for the company. It already owns a 16.9% stake in SMG.
Carlton Communications had also been tipped as a potential buyer for SMG, but is not yet thought to have expressed an interest.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Marketing, Social Media & Events Assistant Brand Recruitment £18000 - £21000 per annum + benefits, City of London