Omnicom tops agency groups with over $1bn in new business in 2001
LONDON - Omnicom, the world's third-largest advertising group, won $1.08bn (£767m) in new business during 2001, more than its larger rivals Interpublic Group of Companies and WPP Group, according to a new report.
Omnicom, which owns the BBDO Worldwide, DDB Worldwide and TBWA\ advertising networks and is headed by John Wren, added accounts such as Campbell's Soup and Royal KPN last year to secure its position as the biggest new-business winner.
Omnicom's success was highlighted in a report by Credit Suisse First Boston, which valued the 925 advertising and media-buying business wins last year at $20.3bn.
WPP, the world's second-largest advertising group, came second with $781m worth of net new business. However, since the beginning of this year alone, WPP has already won new business valued at $550m from clients including Novartis and Nestle.
In third place was French group Publicis with $668m worth of net new business, followed in fourth place by Grey Global, home of Grey Worldwide and Grey Direct, which secured $552m in new business.
Interpublic, which following its acquisition of True North is now the world's largest group, came in sixth, just beaten by Havas in fifth. Bringing up the lower end of the table was B|Com3, holding company for Leo Burnett and D'Arcy, in seventh position, followed by Cordiant Communications with $299m in new business.
The only major group not to be ranked in the study was Japanese group Dentsu, the largest advertising group in Japan and which also owns 20% of B|Com3.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand
Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Senior Brand Consultant - Brand Strategist Royds Raphael £85k-£100k+neg, London
- PROCUCTION MANAGER / DIRECTOR - BRANDING DESIGN & STRATEGY Royds Raphael £45k-£50k+neg, London