Turner to launch men's channel with possible IPC link
LONDON - Turner Broadcasting is to tap in to the lads mags phenomenon with the launch next month of a new TV channel for men featuring a mix of movies, live action and animated programming.
CNX, which launches on October 14, could also tie in with sister company IPC Media, publisher of Loaded and the music titles NME, Muzik and Uncut. Both companies are owned by AOL Time Warner and the parent is reported to be keen to exploit synergies between IPC and Turner in the UK. However details have not been released yet.
Dubbed CNX, the channel will feature programmes on martial arts, sport, music, as well as animated series and movies. Some of the content will be exclusive to the channel.
Channel manager Richard Kilgarriff said: "CNX is a pure entertainment play for the adult male audience.
"With a strong backbone of quality action, adventure and anime, CNX will stand out on the electric programme guide, taking viewers to a new place that's slightly out of reach but totally theirs on TV."
The channel will compete head to head with channels already in the market, such as Granada's Men & Motors, which has a broader and older target audience.
Turner is hoping it will be able to attract advertising to the channel if it can crack the key 16-34 demographic, which advertisers are always trying to find new ways of reaching. Lynne Frank, executive vice-president of entertainment networks at Turner, said: "CNX is the first new channel launch from Turner Broadcasting Europe. We believe CNX is a unique and exciting proposition designed to fill a gap in the market -- the underserved genre of action adventure."
The new station will sit alongside Turner's existing stations in the UK -- CNN, Turner Classic Movies and the Cartoon Network.
IPC's consumer magazine rival Emap has already branched out successfully into branded television, with channels connected to its Kerrang!, Smash Hits and Q music titles.
CNX will air on Sky Digital, as well as cable services NTL and Telewest.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SENIOR DIGITAL PLANNER - INTEGRATED AGENCY Live Recruitment £50000 - £70000 per annum, City of London
- Digital Marketing Manager - Ardington Ltd Ball & Hoolahan £Competitive Salary Package, South East
- Brand Activation Manager Ball & Hoolahan £36,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East
- Marketing Manager - Inbound Tourism - Dubai Based MCG Associates Tax Free Competitive Package, Dubai, UAE
- Senior Account Manager - Saudi Arabia - PR MCG Associates Tax Free Package, Riyadh. KSA
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London