WPP's MindShare scoops £400m Gillette media business
LONDON - WPP Group has scored a major coup as its MindShare media agency is understood to have been awarded Gillette's £400m global media buying account, despite not having previously worked for the shaving giant.
MindShare pitched against Gillette's two incumbent agencies -- Omnicom Group's OMD, which handled the bulk of the business overseeing the UK, Europe and North America, and the Interpublic Group of Companies-owned Universal McCann, which handled the business in Latin America and Asia Pacific.
The non-roster agency MindShare was invited on to the pitch list because fellow WPP agency Ogilvy & Mather had previously worked for the Gillette-owned Duracell. The review was being overseen by vice-president of marketing services Dick Cantwell and European media director Michael Winkler.
Gillette has been consolidating its advertising arrangements as part of a strategic sourcing initiative covering all its procurement and suppliers. Last year, BBDO won the £53m consolidated account for Oral-B, Gillette's dentalcare brand.
Gillette, famous for its "the best a man can get" slogan, currently spends £10m annually through OMD in the UK, where the agency has worked on the account since 1990.
WPP's share price was already up 4.5% in early trading to 445.2p, having recently fallen as low as 401p.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SHOPPER MARKETING ACCOUNT HANDLERS - London agencies - £38k-55k (perm & freelance) Judi Patton £28-£55k- plus bonus and benefits, London
- head of new business > #1 DIGITAL & CONTENT AGENCY collectivo £60k-£80k plus agency bens, Central London
- Account Director Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager - [Retail / Digital] - Superb agency! £35k - £39k Fill Recruitment Ltd £35k - £39k + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager - FMCG - London or Home counties Stonor £45,000 - £55,000 dependent on experience , London, Essex, Bucks or Oxon
- Creative Director The Marketing Practice Up to £120k dependant on experience , East Hendred, near to Didcot in Oxfordshire