WPP's MindShare scoops £400m Gillette media business
LONDON - WPP Group has scored a major coup as its MindShare media agency is understood to have been awarded Gillette's £400m global media buying account, despite not having previously worked for the shaving giant.
MindShare pitched against Gillette's two incumbent agencies -- Omnicom Group's OMD, which handled the bulk of the business overseeing the UK, Europe and North America, and the Interpublic Group of Companies-owned Universal McCann, which handled the business in Latin America and Asia Pacific.
The non-roster agency MindShare was invited on to the pitch list because fellow WPP agency Ogilvy & Mather had previously worked for the Gillette-owned Duracell. The review was being overseen by vice-president of marketing services Dick Cantwell and European media director Michael Winkler.
Gillette has been consolidating its advertising arrangements as part of a strategic sourcing initiative covering all its procurement and suppliers. Last year, BBDO won the £53m consolidated account for Oral-B, Gillette's dentalcare brand.
Gillette, famous for its "the best a man can get" slogan, currently spends £10m annually through OMD in the UK, where the agency has worked on the account since 1990.
WPP's share price was already up 4.5% in early trading to 445.2p, having recently fallen as low as 401p.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Online Editorial Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £30000 - £35000 per annum + benefits, London
- Client Services Director Dot-Gap £55k, Central London