UDate selects PR firm ahead of major marketing push
LONDON - UDate, the UK's most profitable internet company, has hired the tech PR agency Gnash Communications to promote its online dating service ahead of a big marketing drive next year.
The agency won the work after a competitive pitch against two unnamed agencies. Incumbent Hill & Knowlton did not pitch for the account, but will continue to work on UDate in the US.
UDate has 11m members worldwide, with 225,000 active subscribers, and is benefiting from the increased willingness of singletons to turn to the internet in an effort to find a partner. The company reported net profit of $2m (£1.3m) for the second quarter of 2002.
Gnash won the pitch with a strategy based on building a new brand personality through media relations, and UDate is looking at a big marketing push next year, although no details have been released yet.
The company was founded in the UK and is based in Derby. It claims to have members from almost every country in the world. In February this year, it bought the US dating service Kiss.com for $17m.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Marketing Manager - South West Stopgap £39000 - £47000 per annum, South West England