OMD scoops $100m global Siemens business
NEW YORK – OMD, the Omnicom Group media agency, has won the $100m (£64m) global media account for Siemens mobile phones, having earlier in the day scooped Sony's consolidated $500m pan-European media account as revealed on Brand Republic.
Siemens, the electronics and telecoms giant, called the review in June and shortly afterwards shortlisted MindShare, Universal McCann, OMD and Carat to pitch for the consolidated media account.
The final shortlist was reduced to two and saw OMD compete with the Aegis Group-owned Carat for the account.
Publicis-owned Optimedia handles the bulk of the Siemens business in the UK, where it spent more than £5m last year. The Optimedia subsidiary Connexus negotiated sponsorship of the ITV gameshow 'Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway' for Siemens Mobile Devices last week.
Optimedia also handles elements of the Siemens business in a number of other territories, including France, Argentina, Australia and Germany.
Last November, McCann-Erickson ousted J Walter Thompson from the international account for Siemens Mobile Devices. McCann's business-to-business division subsequently picked up the account for Fujitsu-Siemens.
The two account wins comes just weeks after OMD lost the $600m Gillette global media account to MindShare.
Yesterday, it was reported on Brand Republic that Sony had awarded OMD its media business for Sony Music Entertainment, Sony Pictures and Sony Consumer Electronics, but not Sony PlayStation. It was last night refusing to confirm the appointment.
In an official statement, Aldo Liguori, a spokesman for Sony, said: "Sony Europe, jointly with Sony Music Entertainment Europe, Columbia TriStar Film Distributors International and Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment, confirms that it has entered into final discussions with OMD Europe regarding the media buying and planning review it has conducted. An announcement will be made subject to the outcome of these final discussions. No other details are available at this time."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 plus Car/ Car Allowance, London
- Creative Project Assistant become £20K-£24K, London