Daily Mirror wins appeal case against Naomi Campbell
LONDON - The Daily Mirror has successfully challenged the breach of confidentiality charge that supermodel Naomi Campbell won against it in the High Court earlier this year.
Campbell took her case to the High Court earlier this year in a landmark case after the paper revealed that she had a drug problem and that she attended Narcotics Anonymous meetings.
The newspaper was told by the High Court to pay Campbell £3,500 damages plus her legal costs of £750,000.
Giving the judgement at the Court of Appeal today, the Master of the Rolls, Lord Phillips, said the report, which appeared in February 2001, was in the public interest.
Phillips said the appeal raised the issue of how far the law provides protection against the media publishing details of an individual's private life.
Describing Campbell as an internationally famous model, he added that Campbell had gone out of her way to tell the media how she did not take drugs, which turned out to be untrue.
Campbell will now be faced with the prospect of a £750,000 legal bill including a £25,000 bill from the PR firm Freud Communications.
During the original case Campbell told the High Court of her shock at discovering she had been charged for crisis management advice by Freud Communications. Campbell said she thought advice from agency chairman Matthew Freud was as a 'friend'. The agency's £25,000 fee was later reduced to £15,000.
The news failed to buck the publisher's share price, however, which is down 3.9% to 330p.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Brand Manager - consumer products ADLIB £38000 - £43000 per annum, Cornwall
- Your next role selling to media agencies! Ultimate Asset £23000 - £25000 per annum + Excellent Benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- CRM Planner The Great & The Good Up to £100k , West End
- International Marketing & Sales Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Director - Top 10 Agency - Central London - c£48k+ Fill Recruitment Ltd c£48k+, Central London