Channel 4's marketing chief to set up brand development business
LONDON - David Brook, the Channel 4 marketing chief who masterminded the acquisition of Test cricket from the BBC, is to launch a brand consultancy for clients in the US and UK after losing his job at the channel.
Brook, who is the most senior figure to be hit by Channel 4's huge programme of job cuts, also played a major part in the launch of Channel 4's digital channels Film Four and E4.
Channel 4 chief executive Mark Thompson said Brook would continue to contribute to the channel's strategic and creative development through his new business.
"David has made a massive creative contribution to Channel 4 and has been at the heart of some of the Channel's biggest breakthroughs in recent years, from the launch of Film Four and E4 to the brilliant acquisition of Test Match Cricket," said Thompson.
Brook will take a three-month break to study in the US before launching the business, which will help set up a pay TV platform outside the UK. He said being outside of Channel 4 would give him greater opportunity to contribute creatively to its development.
Brook joined Channel 4 in 1997 as director of strategy and development after helping successfully launching Channel 5 with a memorable branding campaign. Brook was awarded Marketer of the Year for his communications campaigns for Channel 4 in 2001/2. Prior to Channel 5 he was marketing director at the Guardian.
According to Brook: "I have been privileged to work with some very talented and creative people at both Channel 4 and Channel Five before that, since I joined the UK TV industry six years ago. But now I want to develop my own business in the wider market place."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Account Director AF Selection £35,000 - £38,000 plus car, Birmingham
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Director Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, London
- Senior Planning Media Executive Gemini Search £24000.00 - £28000 per annum, London