Reuters denies that FitzGerald is to replace Hogg
LONDON - Reuters, the troubled financial information company, has denied that Niall FitzGerald is to take over from Sir Christopher Hogg as its chairman, after reports over the weekend that Hogg was to leave to boost shareholder confidence in the company.
In a regulatory statement, Reuters said: "Following recently announced changes to the board of directors of Reuters Group, there has been speculation in the media concerning the selection of a new chairman to succeed Sir Christopher Hogg. Reuters confirms that no such decision has been taken or is currently planned."
FitzGerald, chief executive of Unilever, was tipped in several newspapers to be taking the role of chairman, and according to reports was to be appointed by the end of the year. Just over a week ago, FitzGerald was named as a non-executive director of Reuters. Hogg has been chairman of the company since 1985.
On Wednesday, Reuters' share price lost almost 23%, crashing by 47.25p to 160.75p - a 12-year low.
The company has suffered against competitors such as Bloomberg, and has been forced to make thousands of job cuts over the past 12 months. The company has warned that it expects revenues to fall further.
Shares in the company fell by 1.8% or 3.25p when the market opened this morning to trade at 173.75p.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Account Director - FMCG & Retail to £55k Network Career Consultants £48000 - £55000 per annum, City of London
- Account Director - B2B & B2C to £65k Network Career Consultants £55000 - £65000 per annum, City of London