Call centres upset customers finds study
LONDON - Banks are being warned that their call centres risk alienating their customers, and that there is a huge gap between their objectives for having call centres and the way they evaluate their success.
The survey, by call centre technology company Vocalis, says that despite claiming they are there to provide customer service, banks' call centres tend to be judged on how quickly they handle calls.
Mike Banbrook, chief consultant for Vocalis, said: "These issues are significant to the operations because call centres are used for four-fifths of consumer contact with their banks and, as the banks told us, customers are now demanding even more service of those call centres."
The findings of the survey are published at the same time as a wider study, conducted by Mintel, found that nine out of 10 people admit call centres get them angry and frustrated.
The Mintel survey found that almost one third of respondents had hung up after being left in a queue waiting for someone to take their call.
Other bugbears were listening to annoying on-hold music, which upset more than half of those surveyed; not being provided with an appropriate choice at the beginning of a call, which irritated 44% of respondents; and one-third hated the automated voices.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Business Development Manager Pure360 £20,000 - £25,000 depending on experience. £45k OTE uncapped, Brighton
- Comms Planning Manager PFJ £30000.00 - £35000.00 per annum, London