IBM kicks off $800m ad campaign with spoof creative
NEW YORK - IBM is to invest as much as $800m (£513m) in advertising over the next 12 months to promote what it calls its 'on-demand computing' initiative.
It has started the push with an advertising campaign created by Ogilvy & Mather, part of the WPP Group, for a fictional firm called Bagotronics. This broke earlier in the week, in preparation for an eight-page advertising insert that will appear in today's New York Times, Wall Street Journal and the San Jose Mercury.
The company has also created a spoof Bagotronics website, where visitors are able to buy products such as a bag of Magic Business Beans. When clicking on the products, it invites users to come back today, October 31. The site also features a spoof infomercial, which offers business people the chance to buy a "real working time machine" so they can go back and erase costly mistakes. It finishes with the line: "Take business in a whole new direction -- backwards!"
In a report, Chris Wall, executive creative director at Ogilvy & Mather, said: "In a weird way the gizmos served to illustrate the purpose of what IBM is doing in a physical form, and also the hype and unfulfilled promises of the technology world."
Reuters reports that IBM chief executive Sam Palmisano has said that the company would spend between $700m and $800m on this campaign over the coming year. This is up from the $314.8m that the computer giant spent in 2001.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Consumer Insight Specialist (6 months mat cover) Stopgap £30000 - £35000 per annum, West Midlands