Olympics ends partnership with marketing agency
LONDON - The International Olympic Committee will not review its contract with sponsorship agency Meridian Management, which is due to end after the 2004 games in Athens.
Meridian has been working for the IOC since the Atlanta Olympics in 1996 and services the sponsors of the Olympic Games. The IOC has not announced plans for what will happen for the next marketing period, which will include the 2006 Winter Olympics, to be held in Turin, and the 2008 summer games, being hosted by Beijing.
In a statement, Gerhard Heiberg, chairman of the IOC marketing committee, said: "I can confirm that the IOC will not be renewing its contract with Meridian after 2004.
"However, the IOC is fully committed to working with Meridian until the end of the current contract and there are ongoing discussions taking place with it as to how best to build a structure for Olympic marketing for the future."
Samsung was announced as the latest company to renew its sponsorship of the Olympics, joining Kodak, Coca-Cola, Swatch and Panasonic, among others.
Companies are reported to pay as much as $55m (£35m) for the right to be an "official partner" of the Olympic Games.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Vice President Marketing Communications Direct Recruitment £75,000 - £79,000, London
- Account Director - Integrated - [Digital / Promotions] - Dynamic agency! to £49k Fill Recruitment Ltd £45k - £49k + superb bonus & benefits, Central London
- Lead Designer (Print, Agency, Conceptual, Typography, ATL, BTL) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Paid Social Manager - Leading Media Agency - Biddable Media Ultimate Asset £28000 - £36000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Freelance Planner - FMCG, Pitches & Government Business Speckled Frog £250-£300 daily rate, possibly negotiable, dependent on experience, Central London
- Brand and Marketing Manager sipsmith Up to £30,000 = Benefits (including gin!), Chiswick. London