Ad mix-up lands Kinder's 'lick my ripples' in hot water
LONDON - A mix-up over ads for Kinder Surprise and Kinder Bueno led to the line 'you can lick my ripples' being broadcast on children's television channels.
The ads for Kinder Bueno, created by WCRS, show a man in a shop. A Kinder Bueno chocolate bar begs the man to "lick my ripples", "bite me, bite me" and then tells him "I'll be anything you want me to be".
Complaints had already been received for the ads, although they had been approved to be shown on condition that they not appear immediately before, during or after children's television programmes. However, the ads appeared on the Cartoon Network and Boomerang, drawing complaints from nine viewers over the sexually aggressive nature of the ads.
The Independent Television Commission was told by Turner Broadcasting, which owns Cartoon Network and Boomerang, that a wrong instruction had been sent to the traffic department. This resulted in the Kinder Bueno ad being shown instead of the Kinder Surprise ad. The broadcaster said that its usual procedure of viewing all ads before they were aired was not followed because a VHS copy of the ad was not sent by the agency.
Although Turner apologised for the mistake, the ITC still found it was in breach of rules on the scheduling of advertising.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Digital Executive Stopgap £32000 per annum, City of London
- Community Manager Twist Recruitment £30000.00 - £35000.00 per annum, London
- Head of Engagement and Communications VMA Group 60000-65000 per annum,, West Midlands
- New Business Manager - creative agency Dynamic New Alliances £55000.00 per annum + bonus, London
- Senior Brand Manager - Oral Care Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment Senior Brand Manager - Oral Care, London