Smile takes ethical message on to the web
LONDON - Internet bank Smile is breaking with rivals' rates-driven messages and is trialling a more ethics-focused approach with its latest online advertising campaign.
Using a number of executions and media placements, Smile's "Happy wallet & happy heart" campaign is designed to show that it is possible to get excellent rates at the same time as peace of mind.
The campaign, which is part of the bank's ongoing effort to show potential customers that Smile really is not like any other bank, was planned and bought by Smile's digital media agency i-level.
The campaign for the Co-op-owned bank is running on a number of high-profile UK websites including The Guardian, Femail, Times Educational Supplement, New Scientist and Wellbeing.
Paul Cairney, head of marketing communications at Smile, said: "Consumers are bombarded with dull-as-dishwater messages about rates all the time, because most banks don't have anything else to say. We're using online to test a radically different approach that talks to peoples' hearts, not just their wallets."
Dynamic Logic has been brought in to track the effect this has on brand perception and purchase propensity.
Nick Walters, account director on the business at i-level, added: "Too many online campaigns seemed to be based on a philosophy of 'plan and hope'. At best, judgments on effectiveness are often based solely on click-through rates, but this campaign is designed to help shift attitudes and it's these changes that we are therefore monitoring."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Account Director Direct Recruitment £45,000, Central London