UK retail adspend rises amid supermarket wars
LONDON - Increased competition between supermarket giants such as Sainsbury's, Tesco and Asda, could fuel a surge in retail advertising spend in the weeks before Christmas, according to industry predictions.
Advertising spend by retailers could hit £99m in December, up 5% on last year according to Mindshare managing partner Steve Tindall.
This figure compares with December 2001, when spend in this sector fell 1% on the previous year.
In an article in the Wall Street Journal Europe, Tindall said the current marketplace is "much more aggressive in terms of trying to increase market share."
Advertising in this sector is also performing well in the beleaguered German market. In October, retail advertising spend rose 12%, according to Christof Baron, managing director of WPP Group-owned MindShare. December's retail adspend is expected to be up between 5% and 7% on last year.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager - Inbound Tourism - Dubai Based MCG Associates Tax Free Competitive Package, Dubai, UAE
- Senior Account Manager - Saudi Arabia - PR MCG Associates Tax Free Package, Riyadh. KSA
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Biddable Paid Social Senior Executive - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £25000 - £30000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account handler ready for an immediate start? Freelance, Contract or Temp to Perm? Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london