Arena turns to Lord of the Rings to boost flagging sales
LONDON - Arena, Emap's upmarket men's magazine, is to publish three different covers for its January issue featuring 'Lord of the Rings' stars Sir Ian McKellen, Elijah Wood and Orlando Bloom.
The publisher is claiming the magazine's 'Lord of the Rings' interviews to be a world exclusive, with interviews and photoshoots featuring the three actors included in an 18-page section dedicated to the new movie, 'Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers'.
Arena editor-in-chief Anthony Noguera said: "Our three covers cover all Arena's bases -- we're giving the readers an established star in Elijah Wood, Britain's coolest new actor in Orlando Bloom and a genuine legend in Sir Ian McKellen."
The issue will also feature an Agent Provocateur set of strip poker playing cards, as part of an added drive to boost the title's circulation.
"The team at Arena are immensely proud of the January issue and are sure that it will fly off the newsstand," Noguera added.
Arena's circulation fell to 38,426 in the last set of ABCs for the January to June period, down 23% on the previous year. However, the title was then at the centre of an ABC scandal after it was found to have infringed ABC rules on bulk copies.
Its reissued ABC figure for the January to June period is 31,418, wiping almost 7,000 off its circulation.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Director of Strategy Factory Design Labs Depending on Qualifications, Valais