Bauer to challenge Glamour's dominance
LONDON - H Bauer is to launch a new women's magazine in an effort to challenge the storming success of Conde Nast's Glamour magazine.
The magazine, codenamed Project Young, is slated to launch in the new year and its launch is being overseen by H Bauer publishing director Kathy Day.
It will have an uphill struggle. Since its debut, Glamour has been one of the most successful women's magazine launches the UK has ever seen.
In the most recent set of ABC figures, Glamour stole the number one women's magazine spot from National Magazines Company rival and long-time market leader Cosmopolitan.
The handbag-sized A5 glossy Glamour increased its circulation by 19.2% in the six months to June 2002, rising to 520,193. This left Cosmo trailing with an ABC of 470,180, which was a rise of 1.5%. Year on year, Glamour is up 15.2%, while Cosmo grew 4%.
With its innovative size, Glamour has forced the market's hand. NatMags dropped the price of its Company magazine in response and made strong gains with the move as its six-monthly ABC rose 19.5% to 312,157.
Company had been hard hit by the launch of Glamour and the £1.10 price cut to £1.50 is almost unprecedented and more reminiscent of the newspaper market.
The fate of Company is likely to dictate some of the launch terms of Bauer's new title, in a market that has proved highly sensitive to both innovation and price.
Glamour itself launched in 2001 with a cover price of £1.50, but after its stunning launch success it raised its price in April 2002 to £1.80, which is still considerably cheaper than much of the market.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Midweight Creative Team - digital and direct The Industry Club London Ltd £35,000, Central London
- Marketing Analyst JV Recruitment £30000 - £40000 per annum, Benefits: Benefits, Halifax
- Midweight Designer Pitch Consultants £25000 - £30000 per annum, West Midlands
- Senior Art Director Pitch Consultants £35000 - £45000 per annum + benefits, Warwickshire