Beckham paid £2m for Japanese beauty commercials
TOKYO - David Beckham is understood to have been paid around £2m to appear in a series of commercials for cosmetics firm Tokyo Beauty Centre, as the England football captain capitalises on his cult status in the Far East following the World Cup.
The fee, which equates to 400m yen, is the highest fee paid to date for a commercial featuring an international celebrity.
Beckham was feted by the Japanese during the World Cup, where his Mohican was widely copied by young Japanese and now companies are rushing to sign up the Manchester United star, who is expected to appear in a string of ads that will only be shown in the Far East.
Later this month, Japanese television viewers will see Beckham promoting Meiji Seika's Almond Choco, which is one of the countries top candy products.
The ad for TBC, which also features Beckam's wife Victoria, sees the two promote anti-ageing creams, facial cleansers and eyebrow-shaping kits. The commercials have been shot at a stately home in England and play on his Britishness.
According to a spokesman for TBC: "It's a huge deal and one the firm insisted the couple sign together. Believe it or not, David is probably a bigger star in Japan than he is in England."
Beckham's agents SFX are understood to have been swamped by offers for the star to appear in television ads. The TBC commercial was produced by Hakuhodo.
In Japan, the ad sparked a fresh round of interest in Beckham.
TBC also declined to comment, but local media have reported the company as saying it was satisfied it had got good value for money after the campaign provoked a Japanese media circus.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Online Editorial Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £30000 - £35000 per annum + benefits, London
- Client Services Director Dot-Gap £55k, Central London