Interpublic says 2003 will be flat after disastrous 2002
NEW YORK - Interpublic has told investors that it sees a flat year ahead, but says that that improving its balance sheet is a priority.
Speaking at the UBS Warburg Media Conference in New York, chairman and CEO John Dooner and chief financial officer Sean Orr warned that revenues would be flat year-on-year in 2003.
The warning came at the same time Zenith Optimedia published its forecasts for next year's adspend, saying it was predicting a 3% increase in advertising this year.
The pair were appearing at the end of a disastrous year for the Interpublic Group of Companies that has seen the company's share price plummet after it was forced to restate the last five year's earnings when $181.3m in extra charges were uncovered. Interpublic is being investigated by the SEC over the accounting problems.
The company's credit rating has been reduced to one notch above "junk" status by the ratings agency Standard & Poor's, and when it published its third-quarter results last month, even Orr was forced to admit that the 7.4% decline in revenues was "unacceptable".
Dooner assured investors that 2003 would bring brighter times for Interpublic. He told the conference: "What I call 'the stupids' should be behind us as well."
Orr said that "securing and improving the health of the balance sheet is one of, if not the most important, priority we have."
Shares in Interpublic closed down by 6.85% at $13.26 yesterday, a fall of 99 cents, and well off its year high of $34.98.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Senior Brand Strategist Rare Selection £75K - £100K, Central London
- Brand / Senior Brand Consultant Rare Selection Salaries from £40K - £85K, Central London