Campaign warns of drug rape danger at Christmas
LONDON - Women are being warned of the dangers of drug rape in a new television campaign created by Bartle Bogle Hegarty and being launched in cinemas in time for the Christmas party season.
The campaign highlights the dangers of having a drug slipped into an alcoholic drink that can cause drowsiness and confusion, making it harder for the person who has taken the drug to consent to or refuse sex.
The television spot, directed by Sara Dunlop, shows a clean-cut man in a crowded bar, approaching a woman. They chat, while the voiceover, by 'Big Brother' presenter Davina McCall, says: "You've just witnessed a rapist in action."
The scene then rewinds to show that while the man was talking to the woman, he has dropped a powder into her drink. The voiceover continues: "Drug rape is happening. Make sure it's not happening to you."
The campaign will also feature poster ads that will run on the London Underground, flyers and point-of-sale in bars.
The initiative is being run by the Metropolitan Police, and is supported by club and bar owners in London. Although the police are continually warning people of the dangers of drug rape, research shows there is a significant rise in the number of incidents over Christmas.
Chief superintendent Paul Toland of Westminster Police said: "This is an issue that we take very seriously. It is a particularly despicable crime, taking advantage of someone when they are relaxed and out enjoying themselves. We urge everyone to be vigilant during the Christmas period and welcome this initiative as a campaign that can raise awareness, as well as acting as a deterrent to individuals."
Although the ad features a man drugging a woman, the Metropolitan Police have warned that the issue is not exclusive to heterosexuals, with one in 10 victims being male.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Senior Account Manager Twist Recruitment £32000.00 - £40000.00 per annum, City of London