Drooling dogs to target trendsetters for Sony Ericsson
LONDON - Sony Ericsson has drafted in an army of more than 600 drooling dogs to promote its new mobile phone and camera model.
The campaign has been created by the Amsterdam-based agency StrawberryFrog and is running in the UK, Germany, France, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Spain and Italy.
It is in support of Sony Ericsson's T300 mobile phone, called The Bar, and the snap-on MCA-25 CommuniCam.
In what Sony Ericsson describes as "dogvertising", space has been bought on hundreds of big drooling dogs across Europe. These dogs are dressed in coats that direct people to the relevant promotional website Drool-uk.com. The dog walkers are also dressed in branded clothing.
The campaign is based on 'drooling', an invented trend that Sony Ericsson is claiming began in New York City last summer. Drooling involves teenagers "'drooling" spittle over friends, clothes, gadgets and music as a mark of respect and approval.
It will run for six weeks and will see packs of dogs in major cities walked several times a day.
Kerry Matheson, marketing manager for Sony Ericsson UK & Ireland, said: "The 'drool' campaign is about creating lust for the Bar handset and snap-on MCA-25 camera.
"When we learned about 'dogvertising' we realised it was a perfect fit -- the dogs are a fun way to illustrate desirability. The entire 'drool' campaign has a real edge to it -- something that the target audience all over Europe will relate to."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Online Editorial Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £30000 - £35000 per annum + benefits, London
- Client Services Director Dot-Gap £55k, Central London