Google offers online shoopers the chance to Froogle
NEW YORK - Google, the search engine that has entered the language as a verb, has launched a shopping service giving users access to online merchants selling the products they want.
The site will be known as Froogle, a pun on the word "frugal". As with Google's original search engine, the results returned from the search will not be able to be bought, and are based on the relevance to the information entered. It will not sell anything, but directs shoppers to merchants.
Froogle will also have sponsored links appearing onscreen to the right of the search results. However, at the moment, these sponsored links are based on Google's existing advertisers.
Froogle tells advertisers: "If you are a Google AdWords advertiser and have requested that Google distribute your ads to our partner sites, they will automatically appear on Froogle. There's currently no way to have your ads appear only on Froogle and not our partner sites or Google.com."
Merchants are likely to be automatically featured on Froogle because of its robot technology that trawls the net. However, they can also send their information for inclusion in searches.
Google is privately owned and is one of the internet's biggest success stories. It draws revenues from selling sponsored links, as well as from lending its technology to other companies, such as Yahoo! and AOL.
The word "google" has become a verb in its own right, with US women being known to "google" potential dates as a way of checking out their credentials.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- PPC Executive - Leading Digital Marketing Agency Ultimate Asset £23000 - £28000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account Director - FMCG & Retail to £55k Network Career Consultants £48000 - £55000 per annum, City of London