Evening Standard poaches Laws from The Independent
LONDON - The Evening Standard has poached The Independent's Claudette Laws to be the new head of planning at its advertising sales team.
She joins from The Independent where she headed up the Independent Solutions department, which provided editorial solutions to satisfy advertisers' needs.
She replaces Neville Toptani, who left last month along with five other members of the Standard's advertising sales team, including head of client direct retail Maxine Rose and the head of trading Michael Bell, as part of the ongoing shake-up at the paper.
Laws, who was once described by Independent commercial director Stephen Miron as "an awesome sales machine", leaves The Independent after a year-and-a-half, having joined from Ministry of Sound where she was commercial manager.
Prior to Ministry, Laws was group advertorials and sponsorship manager for BBC Magazines, which she joined in 1997 from IPC where she started her career as a graduate trainee in 1991.
At IPC, Laws worked on a number of titles including Classic Cars, Golf Monthly and a number of women's title's at IPC Southbank.
She joins the Standard as speculation mounts over the future of the paper's editor Veronica Wadley, who is rumoured to be on the way out after failing to lift sales despite a raft of editorial changes.
Last month, also saw the arrival of Matthew Chambers as its brand controller. Chambers was the former Marks & Spencer marketer who was behind the controversial "normal" campaign, which featured a naked size-16 woman.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Junior Account Director / Account Director - Fabulous Global Agency - Central London - to £47k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £47k, Central London
- business director > TOP LONDON AGENCY > ATL collectivo Up to £90,000 + great benefits, London
- ACCOUNT MANAGER | Integrated Agency | Confectionery | up to £30k Judi Patton up to £30k, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - Creative London Agency - MOBILE/Social Media - £40-47k Judi Patton £40-47k, London
- General Manager - Integrated Advertising Agency - Dubai MCG Associates Tax Free Competitive Package, Dubai, UAE
- MIDWEIGHT DESIGNER - award winning global agency! Live Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, City of London