United appoints Mediaedge:cia to $60m media business
LONDON - Struggling US carrier United Airlines has appointed WPP Group's Mediaedge:cia to the bulk of its $60m global media planning and buying account following a review of the account.
The review saw the work shifted out of Zenith Media, which has held the account since July 2001. It follows a reduction in the airline's media spend from $78.4m (£48m) in 2000 to $57.3m last year after the September 11 terrorist attacks.
The extent of the airline's troubles were highlighted last week by the news that it is filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Last week, United mailed its stakeholders to reassure them that it would continue operations as normal. It also said relationships with its marketing services agencies would be unaffected.
Jerry Dow, United's director for worldwide marketing communications, said: "As United navigates through a very difficult business climate, we believe we've surrounded ourselves with the best possible partners to help us manage through it."
Mediaedge:cia picks up the majority of the airline's international media planning and buying, including Europe, Latin America and Asia Pacific, from January 1. Media for Japan continues to be handled by ADK, and Fallon Sao Paolo retains the Brazil account.
Fallon, United's global creative agency, also handles its global strategic and domestic media planning.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Account Director AF Selection £35,000 - £38,000 plus car, Birmingham
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Director Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, London
- PPC Executive - Digital Media Agency Ultimate Asset £23000 - £28000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London