JWT appoints worldwide creative director for Ford
NEW YORK - J Walter Thompson has recruited Saatchi & Saatchi's Tom Cordner as the worldwide creative director on WPP Group's biggest client, the Ford Motor Company.
Cordner has been co-chairman and executive creative director of Saatchi & Saatchi's Team One Advertising since 1993. Team One is the unit that handles Toyota's luxury car brand Lexus.
While working on Lexus, Cordner came up with the "Relentless Pursuit of Perfection" campaign.
At JWT, he will also take the role of executive creative director of the Detroit office, where the Ford account is based globally.
Michael O'Malley, president of JWT Detroit, said: "A world-class client like Ford deserves a world-class talent. Tom Cordner has said: 'Sophisticated clients go wherever they can find the best thinking, most inventive solutions, the most distinctive work.' He will make JWT Detroit a destination for great ideas and great talent. I know he will be an outstanding partner and a dynamic leader for our creative department."
Ford has advertised its cars with some striking imagery, including the ad for the Puma model starring Steve McQueen and borrowing from his film 'Bullitt'. Earlier this week, Ford announced that it would be pushing one of the marques it owns, Jaguar, at the gay market in the US.
Cordner's 20-year advertising career has seen him do stints at TBWA\Chiat\Day and Ogilvy & Mather Los Angeles. His work has seen him win five Cannes Festival Lions, 12 Clios, three D&AD awards and 12 Andy's.
Ford has had a 60-year partnership with JWT and is the biggest client of the agency, as well as being the biggest client of JWT's parent company WPP.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Business Director Direct Recruitment £80,000 + Bens, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Manager Direct Recruitment £28,000 - £32,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Director Direct Recruitment £45,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Direct Recruitment £32,000 +, London (Central), London (Greater)
- planning director > ATL > LONDON's BEST collectivo Up to £100,000 per annum + benefits, London